Saturday, January 7, 2012

My (late) 2011 Top 10-Part 2

Here are the rest of my top 10 choices for the year. It's an ecclectic mix, and I'll explain it more after the jump.


You'll have to excuse the quality of the pictures, I'll be editing them a bit as I get all my pics together. Also, please note that most of these polishes are more opaque on the nail than they are on my clear nail wheel. 
Essie Borrowed and Blue on the left, OPI Last Friday Night on right
Essie Borrowed and Blue- This color, which came out as part of the Borrowed and Blue wedding collection, is just the perfect light blue. Essie does great cremes, and BaB is no exception.Though light polishes are notorious for being streaky, BaB it applies well and seems to self level for a great finish at 2 coats. Just like light greens, I am always drawn to pastel blues, and Essie really came out with the perfect one for their wedding collection!

OPI Last Friday Night- From the moment I laid eyes on Last Friday Night, I fell in love with the color. I held off on it because I'd heard how sheer it was. Then, I saw this post over at Swatch and Learn, and learned how to achieve the bottle color.  Once I did that mani, it was all over. Now, Last Friday Night is one of my favorites-it's a lovely shade of light blue, and just flashes with blue, pink and holo glitter.  The bottle color mani is the only time that my dad ever complimented my nails, probably because all the glitters were blinding him, LOL! And if you're loathe to spend $8 on a sheer color, I have a dupe for you. Sinful Colors Hottie is a more highly tinted than LFN. It has less variety of glitter than LFN, but it achieves LFN's bottle color with 2 coats and at $1.99, you can't beat the price!

2 coats of Sinful Colors Hottie next to a bottle of OPI Last Friday Night

ULTA Hide and Go Sequins on the left, Orly Fowl Play on right

ULTA Hide and Go Sequins-At $18 dollars a bottle, Deborah Lippmann polish is way too expensive to fit into most of our budgets. However, the brand often comes up with unique and gorgeous glitters. Across the Universe is my favorite Lippmann ever. It's a blue tinted jelly with blue, turquoise and green hex glitter, and it really is reminiscent of outer space.  When reports of a dupe in ULTA's Glitterati set first surfaced, I was so thrilled. ULTA offers Hide and Go Sequins at a fraction of the Lippmann's price (it came in a set of 4, so the 5 ml bottle comes to $1.25). It may not be an exact dupe of AtU, but it's definitely good enough to get it on my top 10 list!

Orly Fowl Play- Before Fowl Play, my nail polish spreadsheet just had 1 page, which listed all the polishes I owned. As soon as I saw pictures of this burgundy beauty, I added another page to my spreadsheet-"wishlist." It took me weeks to find this polish, but I just knew I had to have it. With its purple/maroon jelly base, its flakies and holo mini glitter, it's just an impossible polish to resist!

1 coat of Wet n Wild's Believe Me, It's Real over 1 coat of (from left): OPI Grape Set Match, Wet n Wild Black Creme, China Glaze Lemon Fizz, 2 coats of  BMIR, and generic white. 

And finally, here are some pictures of my other Top 10 finisher, Believe Me, It's Real over various colors. What's your favorite combination?

No comments:

Post a Comment