Wednesday, January 25, 2012

??? Days of Blurple-Navy blue(ish) stripes!


I wanted to accentuate the slight blue duochrome in my unnamed Wet n Wild Little Luxuries purple, so I thought layering it over a dark blue was a good idea. Once I actually did it, I was stumped on where to go next with this mani.  Find out how I came up with my final look after the jump.
Nicole by OPI Too Rich for You topped by unnamed Wet n Wild Little Luxuries purple and Essence Space Queen, sunlight

 After trying a few unsuccessful looks on my nail wheel, I was struck with how pretty the original blue is. I had only worn Too Rich for You from Nicole by OPI once before this mani. It's a weird polish in that it's very dark but also almost jelly-ish in consistency. You need 3 coats to get full opacity. Once you do have it on, you can't help but stare at its beautiful shimmer.

Nicole by OPI Too Rich for You topped by unnamed Wet n Wild Little Luxuries purple and Essence Space Queen, sunlight
Unfortunately, my addition of Wet n Wild blurple to the mix actually covered the cool shimmer of the original polish. I tried adding a stripe of Essence Space Queen, an iridescent glitter, on the top of the nails to simulate sponging, but I still wasn't thrilled with the results. It wasn't until I added a starting stripe of Too Rich for You at the bottom of my nails that I was satisfied with my look. I think this look would have been even better if the layers had been sponged except that 1) I didn't have a sponge with me at the time I was doing the manicure and 2) I wouldn't have been able to use one full coat at a time of the blurple for my experiment.
Nicole by OPI Too Rich for You topped by unnamed Wet n Wild Little Luxuries purple and Essence Space Queen, natural light

Part of the  problem I had with this look is the WnW blurple polish. I've tried it over dark blue, and black, and I feel like the result is murky and not particularly interesting.  I already know from my first try that layering it over white is doesn't have good results. I guess I'll be sticking with colors that aren't too light or dark for the remainder of my experiment. (I feel like Goldilocks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment