Saturday, January 21, 2012

??? Days of Blurple-Fowl Play Edition

This is the 3rd look so far of my experimental color.  As you may have guessed, I was not too pleased with my original 4 coat mani and I immediately started playing around with it. One of the things I did was layer a glitter and Orly Fowl Play over the original color, and I was pretty pleased with the results. Learn how I achieved a similar look in way less coats after the jump.

Wet n Wild unnamed blurple, sandwiched between pastel purple and Orly Fowl Play, sunlight

For this mani, I started with a coat of an unnamed pastel franken I made. I'm sure any pastel purple would achieve similar results. Next, I added a coat of my Wet n Wild unnamed blurple mini from the Little Luxuries set. As I've described in previous posts, I took its incredible sheerness as an indication that this would be better for experimenting and am trying out as many looks as I can. I quite liked the two by themselves, enough that I took a picture.
Wet n Wild unnamed blurple, over pastel purple franken, natural light. I  must've liked it or I wouldn't be sharing my untidy cuticles with y'all!
The look of the mani gets changed drastically when you add in Orly Fowl Play.

late day sunlight pic-it's not just weird lighting that makes the different nails looks like they have different amounts of polish!
I am fairly pleased with the results. I really like how the flakies play in the sun, and the purple topcoat adds a dash of blue sparkle that would've been missing if I hadn't included it. ( I actually experimented on swatch sticks to prove it!)  My only complaint is the unevenness of the overall look. If you see the pictures, some parts of my nails look a little more pale and washed out than others. I'm not sure if this unevenness has to do with the my application of my base purple or blurple topcoat. It was not a glaring problem for me before I added the coat of Fowl Play, but it's hard to miss in the final result.  I can say that my franken application was terrible, I was at the very bottom of the bottle and the coats were uneven because of that. Anyhow, I would definitely use a "name brand" purple and be sure to use equal amounts of polish for each nail if I was to do this look again.

midday sunlight pic

No comments:

Post a Comment