Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sinful Colors' winter polish collection includes a dupe of Zoya Fei Fei!(or is it a dupe of an OPI Bond?)


Sinful Colors Faceted glitter layered over Sinful Colors Winter Wonder
I just got back from my local Rite Aid, where I was thrilled to find the new Winter Shimmers collection from Sinful Colors. It has soooo many interesting things in it, including a dupe of China Glaze Lorelai's Tiara, a near dupe of a Wet n Wild Coloricon glitter, a possible dupe of OPI The One that Got Away, and a shimmery dark blue jelly. However, the colors that got my attention right away, and that I knew that I had to own, were Faceted and Winter Wonder.

Sinful Colors Winter Wonder on its own, 3 coats
I'm certain that Winter Wonder is going to be a huge seller because it's really, really similar to the recent  amazing color from Zoya, FeiFei. By many bloggers' accounts, FeiFei is the "must own" polish from Zoya's fall collection, because its shimmer is so multifaceted.  Imagine my surprise when I saw a color in the Sinful display that looked remarkably like FeiFei. I rushed to swatch this color and did so without any base coat, top coat or proper cleanup brush, and while fighting with diminishing sunlight.  I ended up smudging my ring finger, also.  I hope you still enjoy seeing swatches of this despite these issues. I actually own FeiFei and will be doing a comparison post between Winter Wonder and FeiFei as soon as I can! Offhand, I *think* Winter Wonder may be a bit darker and greyer, but I don't have both bottles in front of me right now.



Faceted is another amazing color in this new collection, it's just so gorgeous. It's purple microglitter and holographic bar glitter in a clear base. The bar glitter shifts from turquoise to green to pink to yellow.  I don't think I've seen anything quite like the glitter in this one. I initially tried to swatch this one alone, but realized after the 1st coat that this color probably would never build to opacity. That's how I came to layer Faceted over Winter Wonder instead.

I have more pictures from the Sinful Colors Winter Shimmers display, along with a couple of comparison bottle shots, after the jump!




I'll start with this picture of the Sinful Colors Winter Shimmers display. I don't guarantee that this is what the display is *supposed* to look like, since it was a bit picked over by the time I got to it. 

Next, I wanted to discuss the dupes that I saw in this display. I unfortunately neglected to take pictures of one of them, which I'll describe first. It was a shimmery raspberry pink that I didn't get the name of. I was very tempted by it, but decided to hold back on buying it until I could bring my bottle of OPI Congeniality is My Middle Name to the store with me. The Sinful Color definitely seems to be a member of that color family, along with OPI The One That Got Away. (Here's a useful comparison post between the OPIs.)  I will be sure to bring my similar colors to the store with me next time, and I'll be sure to pick up the Sinful if I deem it to be different enough. For reference, the pink in question is the in the middle of the display in the picture above, although it's definitely not as dark in real life. 

bottle shot of Sinful Colors Super Star
On to the colors I did photograph. Super Star is a turquoise and purple glitter that I just couldn't stop coming back to. I kept picking it back up, even though I own Wet N Wild Believe Me, It's Real. I finally decided to try it in comparison with Fergie Dutchess, which I showed in an earlier post is a repackaged version of Believe Me, It's Real. Here's what I found:


Obviously, the lighting leaves a lot to be desired, but I hope you can see that Super Star is in a teal jelly base, while Dutchess/BMIR is suspended in a clear base. I think adding a teal color to the jelly base of these glitters is genius, and I'm sure Super Star will prove to be a great polish on the nail. However, it is close enough to BM, IR that I couldn't justify purchasing it for myself.

bottle shot of Sinful Colors Ice Dream
Next, I wanted to show you Sinful Colors Ice Dream. This color will be familiar to you if you're polish fan. China Glaze released a color like it last year as part of its Eye Candy 3D collection, Lorelei's Tiara.
Later, Sally Hansen Gem Crush did their version, called Showgirl Chic. They're identical, as you can see in this comparison post. Sinful Colors Ice Dream looks pretty much the same as Sally Hansen's Showgirl Chic. Here's a picture of the 2 of them in the bottle:



Whew! I had no idea this was going to become such a long post. The final picture I wanted to share is a comparison that's not directly connected to the Sinful Colors display. I was at my nail supply place earlier today, and took advantage of the opportunity to photograph Zoya FeiFei with OPI On Her Majesty's Secret Service. They are very similar to each other, as you can see in the following picture.

OPI On Her Majesty's Secret Service on left, Zoya FeiFei on right

It seems to me the Sinful Color Winter Wonder will turn out to be a dupe of either one or the other of these salon polishes. I can't wait to do my own swatches, I'll be sure to let you know how it compares to Zoya FeiFei soon. :)

Finally, here's another pretty picture of SC Faceted over Winter Wonder. Ooooh...ahhh!



Will you be picking up any of the colors in the Winter Shimmers Collection?

8 comments:

  1. OMG Sinful has a bar glitter?! SUper exciting!! They all look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faceted, the bar glitter, is definitely my "must have" choice out of all the beauties in this collection!

      Delete
  2. Totally looks like you're at US Nail! lol. I just compared OHMSS & FeiFei.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I was at US Nail, it's my "happy place," LOL! Your comparison is great, hopefully it will save people from inadvertently buying a dupe.

      Delete
  3. I was looking at swatches of OPI's Skyfall collection (which I own none of) and I also thought OHMSS looked a lot like Sinful's Winter Wonder. Do you think Sinful's Dazzle (the magenta in the same collection) is a dupe of OPI's You Only Live Twice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dazzle is the color I mention in the post as being close to OPI TOTGA and CIMMN, but it could well be a dupe of the OPI. I will be sure to check it out next time I see the SC winter collection.

      Delete
    2. I just picked up Dazzle today, it's definitely darker and less red than OPI YOLT. I will be posting a little comparison soon. :)

      Delete
  4. These still have never shown up in my neck of the woods on the northern coast of Calif. but just last week finally we got the collection for fall in that has Rain Storm - I had given up ever trying to get that shade. Normally I don't pay too much attention to this line - they usually are too watery in formulas or shades that I have already something similar. But Rain Storm so many folks were bonkers over I wanted to get it - It's a nice shade and great formula. So maybe right before holiday this collection will finally show up here where I live??? Sometimes we never get the Sinful collection.

    ReplyDelete