Monday, April 30, 2012

Shifting perspectives-China Glaze Optical Illusion over 2 blues

China Glaze Optical Illusion, sunlight
People on the autism spectrum can have problems with empathy. In one experiment, researchers give autistic children a plastic candy container and fill it with something unexpected, like an eraser.  Afterwards, adults ask the kids what another child will expect to find in the container. The autistic kids say that other kids will expect an eraser. The reason? Kids with autism often have a hard time thinking from the perspective of other people. This lack of empathy is another example of how the workings of an autistic brain are different than the brain of someone without the condition.

For this post, I decided to try using China Glaze Optical Illusion over a couple of types of blues. Optical Illusion is a green based polish with multicolored glitters that has a purple color shift. I think the different underwear really changes the way the color shifts in this duochrome polish. For more pictures and to learn what I layered them over, keep reading!
You might be surprised to hear that I was not super enthused about the China Glaze Prismatic Collection. It seems to be something a lot of nail addicts were drawn to, but it just wasn't my thing when I saw it in person. However, I saw these polishes when I was visiting a friend in LA and decided to take one home as a souvenir.

Here's a bottle shot. I thought it would be good reference since none of my pictures feature the color on its own. You can also image search it and find a bunch of swatches of Optical Illusion.
China Glaze Optical Illusion, bottle shot. China Glaze press release, picture from swatchandlearn.com blog

I ended up layering this seafoam green tinted polish over two different shades of blue. On the index and ring finger, I used 1 coat of Optical Illusion over 2 coats of Essie Aruba Blue. On the ring and pinkie fingers, I layered 1 coat over 2 coats of China Glaze Kinetic Candy.


China Glaze Optical Illusion, sunlight.  Layered over Essie Aruba blue on left, China Glaze Kinetic Candy on right. 

I found it really interesting how much the color of the underwear changed the look of the polish. With the dark blue polish underneath, the purple side of Optical Illusion was on display Over light blue, the polish definitely stayed in green territory. It  was really interesting to watch the colors shift under different lighting.


China Glaze Optical Illusion, shade.  Layered over Essie Aruba blue on left, China Glaze Kinetic Candy on right.  

  What do you think of the China Glaze Prismatic collection? Will you be picking up any of the colors?

No comments:

Post a Comment