Saturday, April 28, 2012

Shattering some myths-OPI Turquoise Shatter over Color Club Factory Girl

OPI Turquoise Shatter over Color Club Factory Girl, sunlight
Just wanted to post these as I've done a lot of blue manis for Autism Awareness month, but haven't been timely with editing and posting them.

First, here are a couple of common myths about autism I'd like to debunk:
  1. Vaccines-Autism is not caused by vaccines. The study that started that idea has been proven to be scientifically inaccurate to the point of embarrassment. I think part of the reason this myth is so powerful is because the age at which children begin to get more vaccinations coincides with the age at which they begin to be diagnosed. However, correlation does not equal causation, as a great science professor always told me.
  2. Cures- There is no cure for autism. Period. There are many techniques that can be used that may vastly improve the functional capacity of someone on the spectrum, but there is no "cure." A healthy diet can definitely improve things for someone on the autism spectrum, as can things like speech therapy, occupational therapy and an autism-specific educational environment. All of these factors will be part our efforts to help those on the spectrum until we find a real cure.
  3. Celebrity- Just because someone is a celebrity, doesn't mean they are a scientist. I'm sure Jenny McCarthy truly believes she cured her son through good nutrition. She didn't! Either her son is on the autism spectrum and became much more functional, but not cured, after she changed his diet, or he was misdiagnosed as autistic in the first place. Jenny is a big proponent of the "vaccines cause autism" camp and also claims she cured her son's autism, but she has no scientific training in medicine, psychiatry, neurology, or any other science to back up her claims. Anytime someone makes any claims about a disease, you should really question their evidence for those claims. Celebrities should be no exception.
OPI Turquoise Shatter over Color Club Factory Girl, sunlight
And now, onto the polish. I tried this look out last summer and loved it so much I knew I'd make it one of my looks for Autism Awareness Month.  I started with 2 coats of Color Club Factory Girl and then applied a coat of OPI Turquoise Shatter.  Loove! Since I adore both pastels and the color turquoise, I couldn't help going gaga for this look. It's very bright and cheerful, so I really enjoyed sporting this manicure again.

No comments:

Post a Comment