Saturday, July 28, 2012

4th of July Splatter Nails-the perils of polish

4th of July splatter, featuring OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, Orly Crawford's Wine and Sally Hansen Blue Me Away, sunlight
I was visiting my friend in Los Angeles during the 4th of July, but that didn't stop me from breaking out some splatter nails. I used a base of OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, then splattered with Orly Crawford's Wine and Sally Hansen Blue Me Away. I love the look, and the process led me to have an interesting experience! Find out the story, plus learn my splattering tip and check out more pictures, after the jump.

4th of July splatter, shade
As I've already said, I was visiting my friend's house during the 4th of July. I got locked out in the middle of the night and immediately realized that had to pee after the cold night air hit me. Not knowing how deep a sleeper my friend is or how much of a process it would be to wake her up, I decided to head out to closest gas station. A panhandler was standing right in front and asked me for money as soon as I got out of the car. I told him no, was like " I really have to pee" and was pretty frantic in my search for an attendant who could grant me access to the bathroom. As I rushed back to my car, I noticed that he kinda backed away from me when I was walking back in his direction. It wasn´t until later that I realized that I had white polish with red splatter on my nails. I think he may have been concerned I had killed someone or something and didn´t want to mess with me too much! My nails, in combination with my weird behavior made me think that this might be the first time he's encountered someone even stranger than him, LOL!


I did not have any success the first few times I tried to do splatter nails. A tip that works for me is to be sure to get plenty of polish on the straw, more than you think you'll need. If you don't put enough polish on the straw, you'll blow on it and nothing will come out. For a more complete tutorial on splatter nails, the one where I learned the technique, check out this post from The Polishaholic. One of her examples is a nude nail with red polish splatters, it'll give you an idea of what my panhandler saw on my nails.

3 comments:

  1. I've yet to try a splatter mani. It seems so messy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely messy, cover any surface area near where you're splattering and you should be ok. My friend did comment that the part of the pavement I splattered on looked like a crime scene. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This nail length looks great on you. Cute mani!

    ReplyDelete