Monday, June 10, 2013

Shell-o, is it me you're looking for?

China Glaze Shell-o with Verity Deep Violet tips, natural light
I didn't have great expectations for China Glaze Shell-o. It's a neon coral-leaning pink and a jelly finish polish to boot. Those things awesome.  However, neons tend to be streaky in and of themselves, and some jelly polishes do, too. I was afraid that the combination of neon and jelly was going to mean a nightmare of polish to apply. Luckily, Shell-o way surpassed my expectations. While it's not the easiest polish in the world to apply, it definitely has a buildable formula.

China Glaze Shell-o with Verity Deep Violet tips, sunlight
I paired China Glaze Shell-o with a cult nail polish favorite, Verity Deep Violet.  It's a purple jelly polish that's quite nice on its own. Added to the tips of Shell-o, it worked great and made for a fun look. I used 2 coats of Deep Violet over 3 coats of Shell-o. Learn more about how Shell-o applies, what polishes I think it's a mix of and see more pictures, after the jump.
Here's China Glaze Shell-o in the shade, at a weird time of day, to boot. Neons are notoriously difficult to photograph accurately, so I included this picture to give you an idea of how bright it actually is. However, seeing it in person is probably the best way to judge this color.

Comparison with China Glaze Surfin' for Boys on left, Shell-o in middle, and Flip Flop Fantasy on right
Out of all the neon polishes I own, which isn't a lot, I find that China Glaze Shell-o is most comparable to China Glaze Surfin' for Boys and China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy.  I think its hue is almost like a combination of the 2. It's lighter than Surfin' for Boys and darker than Flip Flop Fantasy. Above is a picture of the 3 on a nail wheel. Obviously, Shell-o is way less opaque because it's a jelly polish. The wheel features 2 coats of each polish.
Comparison with 1 coat of China Glaze Shell-o on left, and 2 coats on right
Here's a picture of China Glaze Shell-o at just 1 coat next to the clear nail. You can see it's really thin, and even at 2 coats, on the right,  it's pretty sheer. However, I think it's workable on the nail at 3 coats, which is not too different from a lot of jelly finish polishes. I'm pretty satisfied with the formula on this one. It's so fun to have a bright neon jelly to play around with! I can't wait to see all the great nail art people are going to do with this collection of polishes. Rebecca of Rebecca Likes Nails has already done some fun nail art, as well as doing a review of the entire China Glaze Sunsational collection, so be sure to check out her blog.   

No comments:

Post a Comment