Sunday, September 15, 2013

31 Day Challenge, Day 2: Orange Nails, featuring neon flames

Neon flame nails, featuring Orly Mayhem Mentality
Yikes! Even on a once a week schedule, I'm having a hard time getting my posts in on time. I had already delayed this post because I spent all day Saturday at a family event. Then, I ended up spending half of today looking for my missing camera! It wasn't until late in the day that-duh- I realized I should just take pictures with my cell camera. So without further ado, here are my neon flame nails!



I was a bit stuck when it came to the theme for this week's orange manicure. I knew I wanted to do a neon orange look, but I couldn't figure out how to do something unique. It wasn't until I browsed Youtube that I realized that orange flames would make for a great manicure. I took a bit of a different approach to this look. You can find out what polishes I used, what my technique was, and see more pictures after the jump!


For this manicure, I started with a base of Wet n Wild Black Creme. I added topcoat and then freehanded the flames using Sinful Colors Snow Me White and a nail art brush. Once the white polish had dried, I outlined the edges of the flames with a nail art brush and Sinful Colors Energetic Red.  I filled in the flames with Orly Mayhem Mentality. 

I had initially planned to incorporate both Orly Mayhem Mentality and Melt Your Popsicle into this manicure, because they are different shades of neon orange. I think of Mayhem Mentality as more of a "pastel" neon orange whereas Melt Your Popsicle is a more traditional neon orange. Both are nice and decidedly fluorescent, but Mayhem Mentality is definitely lighter than Melt Your Popsicle. However, when it came time to do a manicure, I felt like the contrast between the 2 polishes wasn't significant enough to add anything to the design.  You can see a comparison between Orly Mayhem Mentality and Melt Your Popsicle in this great post from The Polishaholic.

What do you think of my orange flames? Would you have added another color into the mix? Check back soon, I have a few posts in mind for the upcoming week!

No comments:

Post a Comment